About the city
Siute – Town in the western part of Lithuania Republic, bordering with the Kaliningrad Oblast near the Baltic sea Curonian Lagoon.
Silute was founded in 1511 between Klaipeda and Tilist (nowadays Sovetsk). At the beginning it was settlement, were travelers and their horses rest during trip between those cities. In 1550 the first church was founded, the settlement started to expand intensively. Despite this, due to the proximity of the strongest centers, town did not have civic rights until 1941.
In town there’s a lot of buildings from 19th and beginning of 20th century inter alia lutheran church from 1926.
Silute was fomus for its fish market, which was held for almost 500 years. Nowadays the town known is from huge dairies and (founded in 1842) and furniture factory.
The agreement between the cities was signed on 29 May 2004. To ensure the sustainable and harmonious development of the two local governments, increase the investment attractiveness and competitiveness on domestic and international markets and create the image of the two cities as investor-friendly places, both cities decided to: